Your TV licence fee works out to just over 70 cents a day.

Anyone using or having in his/her possession a television set or any device capable of receiving a broadcast television signal is required to have a valid, paid-up, television licence.

Pay yours.  Make a difference

Who qualifies for a concessionary domestic television licence?

One must apply to the SABC for such licence and submit the prescribed documentation with one’s application. Those who qualify are:

  • a receiver of a Social Grant from the State, on the basis of being an aged or disabled person or a war veteran, as defined in the Social Assistance Act of 1992;
  • a person of 70 years or older, as from the beginning of the first licence year after turning 70, subject to certain provisions.

What documentation must be furnished with my application for such concession?

The following documents are required:

  • In the case of receiving a State old-age, disability or war veteran’s grant, confirmation thereof in the form of a letter from the Department of Social Development, indicating the date from which the grant is being received.
  • In the case of a person of 70 years or older, a duly completed and certified affidavit (sworn/solemn statement) confirming the applicant’s living conditions. If the applicant (and his/her spouse) shares a home with another family, a concession is granted only if such family has its own, valid (paid-up) television licence.

Contact details – Customer Care

The SABC have set up a dedicated Customer Service Centre to ensure your enquiries or problems are resolved quickly and efficiently.

Tel:  011 330 9555 between 08:00 and 18:00 on weekdays, or between 08:00 and 13:00 on Saturdays, excluding Public Holidays.
Fax:       011 330 9560/1
Postal:     Private Bag X60, Auckland Park, 2006

NB:  Please ensure that you include your correct ID number and / or TV licence account number, so that the SABC can process your query accurately.

Print Friendly
Print Friendly